Alexander Turnbull was a Director of James Templeton & Co Ltd, carpet manufacturers in Glasgow. He was also a Governor of the Royal Technical College and in February 1949 he gave Ledcameroch and its grounds to the College. Included with the benefaction was the sum of £2000 towards the cost of converting the house into four separate staff residences. Alexander Turnbull did not reside at Ledcameroch ; his involvement was solely for the purpose of gifting it to the Royal Technical College.
In 1954 Alexander Turnbull also gave Chesters to the Royal Technical College. Ten years later the College became the University of Strathclyde. A fuller account of Alexander Turnbull’s generosity to the University was published in the University of Strathclyde Gazette, January 1974, Volume 9 (2)