JOHN CAMPBELL COLQUHOUN
John Campbell Colquhoun’s original intentions for developing his lands in New Kilpatrick are contained in the Feuing Plan for Garscadden and Killermont Estates dated 1855. Garscadden had been in the possession of Colquhouns or Campbell Colquhouns since 1655 and Killermont since 1746. The Feuing Plan is included in the Maps section of this website. Although only parts of this plan were ever implemented what were to become Ledcameroch Road and Ledcameroch Crescent are shown.
From 1848 John Campbell Colquhoun’s main home was Chartwell in Kent. Elected to Parliament on three occassions and the author of a number of books he was also a prominent Anglican evangelical. On his death in April 1870 The Daily Telegraph described him as “a man whose whole career was associated with (religious) controversies”.
Further information about John Campbell Colquhoun is available online at the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. www.oxforddnb.com (library log in using EDC followed by your library card number).
REVEREND JOHN ERSKINE CAMPBELL COLQUHOUN
As the only surviving son of John Campbell Colquhoun, the Reverend John Erskine Campbell Colquhoun succeeded to the family estates in 1872. A government survey of the ownership and value of land in 1873-74 estimated that he owned a total of 3879 acres in Kent, Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire and Stirlingshire with a gross annual (rateable) value of £6960 exclusive of a mineral rent (essentially royalties from coal mining) of £2422.
In 1884 he purchased Whitecross House, Dunblane which was renamed Ledcameroch.
KILLERMONT & GARSCADDEN ESTATES LTD
The successors to the Campbell Colquhoun family as feudal superiors at Ledcameroch were Killermont & Garscadden Estates Ltd, then the Liverpool Victoria Friendly Society and lastly Ambion Homes Scotland Ltd who purchased the superiority in 1977 at a cost of £468.