The Act of Parliament authorising the Glasgow & Milngavie Junction Railway was passed in August 1861 and construction was completed by June 1863. It is noteworthy that John McLure and Henry Kerr had been willing to feu ground and build their villas prior to the route being finalised.
John Campbell Colquhoun was a director of the company and the owner of at least a tenth of the share capital. His factor, Hugh Kirkwood, was also a director as were Alexander Ronaldson (a relative of the Richardson owners of Gartconnel) and James Spens Black and Frederick McCall (both of the firm of John Black & Co, calico printers, Milngavie).
Initially the principal traffic on the line would have been freight as, until significant housebuilding had taken place in what was to become Bearsden, there would have been relatively few passengers to carry. The company amalgamated with the North British Railway in 1873. The terms of the amalgamation were that £100 of G&MJRC stock was exchanged for £100 of NBR stock. As the market price of £100 of NBR stock was approximately £67 the shareholders in the Glasgow & Milngavie company had in effect lost one third of the value of their investment.