William Anderson was a partner in the firm of Kerr & Anderson, accountants and sharebrokers. The Glasgow Herald of 21st July 1880 reported that “Mr Anderson has been for a considerable time at the head of a firm of high standing in Glasgow, largely engaged in general business particularly in business arising out of important mercantile bankruptcies”. A founder member of both The Glasgow Stock Exchange and The Institute of Accountants & Actuaries in Glasgow he was from October 1878 until March 1880 one of the liquidators of the City of Glasgow Bank.
The first feu to be registered was that between William Anderson and John Campbell Colquhoun dated July 1859. The actual entry date was fixed as Whitsun (16th May) 1856. What William Anderson acquired was over four acres of ground in return for the payment in perpetuity of an annual feu (fee) of £36. On this ground he had the obligation to construct the Ledcameroch villa and the right (which was not exercised) to build four additional villas each of which was required to occupy at least three roods (a rood = a quarter of an acre) and to cost at least £700 to build. Conditions were imposed on any other ground to be developed east of the Ledcameroch Burn and west of Drymen Road so that only expensive villas could be built in the immediate vicinity and nothing “hurtful or disagreeable” in the wider area. The house is first mentioned in the Valuation Roll for 1857 when it is recorded as “not finished”. In the following year the rateable value for the completed house was £100. The 1859 Ledcameroch Feu Plan is included in the Maps section of this website.
In the 1861 Census the house was occupied by William Anderson, his wife, their five daughters and four sons together with a cook, a laundry maid, a housemaid and two nursery maids. The 1871 Census records William Anderson, his wife and again nine children but on this occasion four daughters and five sons. Again there were five servants (a cook, a nurse, a laundress, a housemaid and a table maid). There were eleven rooms with windows in 1861 and fourteen in 1871. In both years there was a lodge, occupied by a gardener and his family.
In June 1873 William Anderson feued a second piece of ground (of over three roods) from John Campbell Colquhoun’s son and heir, the Reverend John Erskine Campbell Colquhoun. The feu contract included permission to construct a further villa costing at least £700 to build. The permission was not exercised but William Anderson retained this ground when, in May 1878, Ledcameroch was sold to James Millar.